If you are a woodworker, you will need the best exterior wood glue to eliminate future problems with your projects. However, each of the products on the market will be marketed as the strongest wood glue. This is when the confusion starts to arise.
The question is, how could you prevent the confusion, and still find the best product to buy? The answer will depend on the way you select a product while following stringent measures. There may be popular types of wood glue, but you should not stick with those options.
There are projects that will no longer allow you to use ordinary glue applied by most carpenters. In other words, specialty glues may already be necessary. Conclusively, you also have to consider your preferences in selecting a product.
The most valuable strong wood glue for you is not the one with the best features or high customer reviews alone, but the item that meets your standards best.
Our 5 Favorite Exterior Wood Glue
Best Exterior Wood Glue Reviews
1. J-B Weld 8251 WoodWeld
In every package of the product, you will get two tubes of the glue. The J-B Weld 8251 is proudly made in the United States, guaranteeing that it has met stringent quality standards.
This product is one of the trusted wood glues available on the market. It is an Epoxy type of glue in a tube containing a couple of adhesive ounces. As claimed, it will give you a fast curing and setting solution.
In just six minutes, it will stick to your woodwork instantly and curing will take four to six hours. The glue is made of a formulation that is resistant to various elements such as acid, water, chemicals, and petroleum.
You could ensure that the J-B Weld 8251 is safe to use since it is made out of non-toxic solutions. You may also use it for fixtures or woodwork that is exposed to extreme temperatures reaching up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
You may use the product to almost any type of surface – marble, metal, iron, fiberglass, ceramic, aluminum, plastics, copper, and of course, wood.
Once the glue is fully cured, you could proceed with other processes of woodworking. These include painting, drilling, sanding, filing, and machine processing among others.
It is very easy to use. First, you simply have to prepare the surface where the glue will be used. Next, mix equal parts from the tubes given. Then, you apply, which will be followed by letting the solution dry. Take advantage of the best wood glue for your woodwork activities today.
2. 8oz Gorilla Wood Glue
The Gorilla Wood Glue consists of eight ounces of wood glue. It is claimed as an easy-to-use solution that you could trust for holding power.
Unlike other formulation, it is a water-based glue. You may use it in different applications besides common home-based woodwork, such as commercial building and carpentry. It is reliable to apply on any type of wood. As guaranteed, it will help you finish the project quicker than customary.
You will only need around 20 to 30 minutes of clamp time when using the Gorilla Wood Glue. The general curing of the glue will take around a day. Woodworkers may use it either outdoors or indoors. This only shows that it is resistant to various types of elements.
The manufacturers also ensured that the Gorilla Wood Glue complied with the highest standards, as proven by its water resistance certification of ANSI/ HPVA Type II.
The flexible solution could be used on soft, hard, or natural composites of wood. It is advised that you clean the surface of the wood prior the application of the glue. Moreover, a generous amount is also instructed to be used.
For every ounce of the product, you can anticipate it to cover a surface with a size of 1.6 square feet. You also have to start learning how to add more force when you squeeze out the tube to get the most out of it.
The Gorilla Wood is the best wood glue to use for any kind of woodworking activity because of its great features.
3. Franklin International 1414 Titebond-3 Ultimate Wood Glue
The Franklin International 1414 Titebond-3 is termed as an ultimate adhesive you can use on wood surfaces. It is a 16-ounce solution that could provide superior strength and waterproof features. The application temperature of the glue is lower than its counterparts.
If you have to prepare the surfaces of your woodwork, you do not have to worry about extending an assembly time since it is intended to stay liquefied despite exposure.
It is formulated to resist various elements, such as mildew, solvents, and heat all at the same time. You may also use it on wood with finishes, and it will retain its adhesion without worries.
The Franklin International 1414 Titebond-3 boasts its high-quality given that this waterproof formula has passed the water resistance specification of ANSI/ HPVA Type I. Anyone may also use it without problems since it is non-toxic. Constant exposure to it will not lead to health problems.
Franklin International 1414 Titebond-3 is also approved by the FDA, particularly for cutting boards. You may use it to fix exterior and interior components of a fixture. The proprietary technology grants the best possible results in woodwork.
Even if you have to sand it after application, you will not have issues at all. It is free from solvents and you may also clean it with water. This promises to fix any fixtures in your house. Although it takes a while to dry, the formulation is very solid after curing. Start your woodworking project with the best wood glue available today.
4. Loctite Liquid Professional Super Glue
The Loctite Liquid Professional Super Glue is packaged in a bottle. It is a professional strength solution that is useful for any projects. You may also trust in handling repairs that require long-lasting adhesives.
Aside from wood, you may also use the super glue to fix different surfaces, such as Chinaware, leather, plastic, rubber, and metal among others.
It was claimed by Loctite that this glue works faster than your regular adhesives. The super strength formulation of the product could be used for fixing O-rings, jewelry, wiper blades, figurines, cameras, costumes, and even toys.
It could also be useful for are chipboards, cork, metal, PVC, hard plastics, fabric, and polycarbonate among others. Anticipate it to dry quickly in seconds. It is also a colorless glue, implying that you can use it without the worry of leaving a hint of repair.
The Loctite Liquid Professional Super Glue comes from a provider that has been in the industry for more than five decades. The liquid glue is one of many sealing solutions from Loctite. The superiority of its mixture is thanks to the patented additive which is claimed not to be present in other glue products.
In case you spill it on a surface, you won’t have to worry about getting rid of the glue. It is very easy to wipe away. Regardless of whether using it for hobby or commercial woodwork, you can trust the product. You don’t want to use just any kind of woodworking glue for your special project, choose the best and get outstanding results.
5. Franklin International 5066F
This is another product from Franklin International that you may find interesting. It is marketed as an original wood glue that sets quickly and is formulated to reduce your clamp time.
It ensures stronger bond when applied between woods. If you accidently spilled or applied the glue on the treatment surface, you can easily get rid of the residue using water.
The Franklin International 5066F is also very easy to sand, ensuring that it will not fade or lose adhesion when doing so. The formulation is also resistant to solvents.
Other than wood, it is tested effective to work on porous surfaces, cloth, particle board, hardboard, and even fabric among others. Besides its very easy to follow instructions of use, it guarantees lack of toxicity.
The Franklin International 5066F is a kind of aliphatic resin adhesive. For more than five decades, it has been advertised as the choice of professionals. Even if you use it on fixtures that will be exposed to weather elements, it has resistant features to boast.
You can trust it to resist moisture and heat. Even if you let it sit for years, its adhesive formulation will stay strong. Aside from the great features of the product for industrial application, it is also known to be great for supporting your hobby. Interior or exterior projects could be finished with the glue minus the worries.
Many types of glue today promise the best kind of adhesion but not all of them deliver. Choose this wood glue today and get the best kind of results for any type of project.
Types of exterior wood glue
Before you find the best glue for wood, you also must learn how to differentiate the available products on the market. There are cases when the categories of the product may depend on how strong is wood glue concerned. Alternatively, types of glue for wood may be based on the specific application.
1) PVA Wood Glue – PVA stands for polyvinyl acetate. This is the most common type of glue you could find on the market. You could find it in your father’s storage space, specifically in either yellow or white color.
If you find bottles with the wood glue label, it is likely a PVA product. If you are asking what is the best wood glue with a waterproof feature, this could be the answer. It is even readily available, making your hardships fewer in obtaining a supply.
However, this type of glue requires touching up after use. There are times its dried residues may hinder your output since you still have to remove these.
2) CA Wood Glue – This is another example of the strongest glue for wood. It stands for cyanoacrylate. You could find this product in different labels, such as Super Glue and Crazy Glue.
CA wood glue is usually used in carrying out a small type of wood work. It could be utilized for turning and carving. This type of glue also has a quick-dry type of formulation.
The wood glue may also run. Fortunately, there are ones available today that could place better than its predecessors.
3) Hide Wood Glue – This type of wood glue has been around for years. You may not have noticed it, but this is somehow like the PVA glue. It has the advantage of getting rid of post-work touch-ups.
It does not leave dried parts onto your woodwork. At present, you can find hide glues in the form of liquid, guaranteeing ease-of-use.
4) Epoxy Glue – This wood glue is a mixture of two parts and you may use it for multiple products. Among the advantages of the product is its capability to resist different moisture and temperature changes.
You could also find epoxy wood glue with additional features of better adhesion, UV light protection, and weather resistance.
5) Hot Melt Glue – This is also called as the hot melt adhesive and you can use it for fixtures and jigs. You would often find it used with a glue gun. It has the capability to set very quickly. Using it requires care given its rapid cooling feature.
What to Look for When Buying
There are various aspects that you must look into when selecting a stainable wood glue or a different type of the product. If you want the best item that could be useful for any application, then you have to look closely on the versatility of the solution. To help you start an effective selection of PVA wood glue or other types available on the market, here are things to look for:
1) Strength – There are different types of wood glue, implying that there will also be varying levels of strength. If you are going to use the glue for fixtures or furnishings, you should find glues with the highest psi. Epoxy types could be purchased from 8000 psi and above, whereas the rest of the glues may have 2000 to 4000 psi range.
2) Package – This attribute may be less trivial to consider than the wood glue strength, but it has a major purpose. Ever remember using glues in tubes? You might remember having a hard time squeezing all the product out.
Basically, many have complained about tubes. As a result, these tubes are improved and made more compact. This is also why quick drying is prevented in the long run.
3) Health Risks – Even if you find out the answer to the question “What is the strongest wood glue?” you still must consider the health risks. For instance, polyurethane glues are known for causing respiratory and skin problems. Constant exposure to the formulation may lead to sensitivity reactions.
This is why you have to follow the instructions included in the product’s package. If you are asked to use a spatula in applying the glue, you should do so. Furthermore, in the case of getting stuck with the glue, you should also read the instructions on removing the solution carefully.
4) Shrinkage – You should verify the purpose of using glue. If you want to fill holes or margins between joints, you may need to find a shrink-free product. Common examples are polyurethane and epoxy glues.
5) Weather Resistance – If you will use the glue for fixtures that would be placed outside and exposed to various elements, you should look for marine glues. Its hide, yellow, or white counterparts may not be applicable.
Using/ Safety Tips
According to Silicon Beachla, you have to perform careful measures whenever you are using wood glue. This is different from the school-type adhesives that kids can safely utilize. If you are serious about woodwork, you should also ensure that the glue you will use will not interfere with the quality of your output.
To help you use your liquid adhesive properly, here are things to keep in mind:
1) Learn how to remove the glue – There are practically two ways of removing glue from wood. Primarily, you use a dampened sponge to wipe off the glue. Alternatively, you may wait for the glue to dry first prior to scraping it off.
Remember that you still have to sand the treated area. Professionals advised that you wait for the glue to dry first instead of wiping off with a sponge since the latter could be tricky.
2) Do it right – It has always been imperative to read the instructions in using the product beforehand. You should follow all the steps given so to protect yourself and your woodwork.
3) Color match – You have to check the color of the glue once dried. Adhesives come in a variety of colors. If you are trying to fix two parts without gaps or hint of repair, you should look for a colorless glue.
4) Use less glue – Never use much of the glue. A Minimal adhesive is enough to get your job done. A squirt may already take a long way, and other seven use sticks to keep the application moderated.
5) Store the glue properly – You should cover the glue tube as tightly as possible to avoid its exposure to air for a long time. It is also best to find a dry and cool area without the sunlight.
Starting your next woodwork should be done with the best wood glue to use. Based on the round-up, it is obvious that the winner is J-B Weld 8251 WoodWeld. It is one of the most trusted glues on the market –Epoxy.
Besides its general classification, you can trust the formulation to support both your repairs and recreational work. It sets quickly, giving you no reasons to wait for long. You can finish bulk projects without worries.
It bonds stronger than wood once it is cured, guaranteeing that you may not need touch-ups. Moreover, it has a great flexibility given after its use. You can drill, shape, or even sand the treatment area. The quality of the product is simply certain since it was manufactured in the United States.
Otherwise, you may try out other products on the list. Simply remember not to compromise your needs and real quality over price. Take note that not all expensive glues are the best wood glue, and not all cheap products are worth the buy.