Ask any professional what they use for leveling huge surface areas quickly, and you may hear many of them tell you about the Makita belt sander.
This article is aimed at giving you a more detailed look at Makita’s take on belt sanders
Our 5 Favorite Makita Belt Sander
Let’s get started!
Top 3 Makita Belt Sanders 2021
A Peek At Makita’s Belt Sanders
While there is a lot in Makita’s lineup of power sanders, here are 3 of their most reviewed belt sanders.
1. Makita 9903 8.8 Amp 3-Inch-by-21-Inch
If you’re looking for a Makita belt sander involving materials of different quality, then The Makita 9903 is one you probably should look at. This tool in particular features a speed control dial that can take the sanding belt ( 3X21 inch ) to speeds as low as 690 ft/min, as high as 1440 ft/min, and any speed in between. This system is backed up with a bolstered tracking system to make sure that the belt continues to sand in a straight direction even if you keep on adjusting the speed on the sander.
2. Makita 9403 11 Amp 4-Inch-by-24-Inch
The Makita 9403 is built for sheer leveling power. One thing you may notice right away on this tool is the belt speed: 1640 feet per minute. You read that right. That’s more than enough material removing speed to handle much tougher woods and metals with ease. The Makita 9403 takes a wider belt than usual to ensure that the speed on this monster is used to the fullest (belt size 4 X 24 inches). While that is already impressive on its own, Makita takes it further by taking measures to ensure that this is not just one of the strongest, but the quietest belt sanders for its build: At only 84db, it’s not actually silent, but it’s enough to keep the entire sanding experience more tolerable.
Unlike the Makita 9903, this is a belt sander that produces a constant speed. If you’re looking to level a lot of tough space quickly, The Makita 9403 is one of the best sanders for the job.
3. Makita 9404 8.8-Amp 4-by-24-Inch Variable Speed Belt Sander with Cloth Dust Bag
The significant increase in the width and length of the belts that the Makita 9404 could handle may leave some more discerning woodworkers and operators wishing that the motor could have been stronger. It’s good for covering wide areas, but make sure that you use the belt sander for leveling moderate to soft materials if you’re expecting to save some significant time.The Makita 9404 is similar to the Makita 9903, in the sense that it carries the same motor; they both run at 8.8Amps, and they are both quieter at ~85Db. They also have the same speed control dial, at the same minimum and maximum speeds (690 – 1440 ft/min). The only distinct difference between these two models is the belt size on the Makita 9404 is wider and longer ( 4X24 inch ). You are able to cover more space at once with this sander.
Why Choose A Makita Belt Sander?
- The company prides itself in making belt sanders and other power tools from nothing but the best raw materials (iron, copper, etc.) with the highest quality, to guarantee significantly more consistent performance and motors that simply last longer.
- These motors manufactured with the best material are supplemented by Makita’s top-of-the-line battery designs. A Makita belt sander battery has been observed run longer and charge faster.
- Makita’s components and assembled power tools are subject to rigorous quality checks and equally strenuous testing before being rolled out into the world. The motor on a Makita belt sander can go through as much as 19 various checks on its quality.
- Reliability – You can tell that Makita has had a lot of experience in not just making motors that perform, but motors and power tools that last. Many of the reviews from users who have had their Makita belt sander for more than 5 years, and some even as long as 20 years. That speaks a lot regarding the consistent performance of Makita’s power tools.
- Quiet – While most companies stop at ensuring that their belt sanders are fast and powerful, Makita takes it a step further by taking measures to reduce the sound emitted by their power tools. It has been observed by a good number of reviewers that Makita’s belt sanders are excellent in the sense that they are quiet, as well as powerful and reliable.
- User-Friendly – Makita belt sander power cords are a little longer for you to reach places further away from your outlet. The easy belt release feature makes belt swapping quick and efficient. The placing of the handles and the design of the nose keep the woodworker’s hands safe, while in a position which is quite appropriate for sanding.
- Price – There are power tools of similar makes and models being made by other companies which can be bought at a fraction of the price of a Makita belt sander. One can assume that he is making an additional investment in the renowned quality of Makita’s power tools when he buys one of their belt sanders.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What guarantees do I have that a Makita belt sander is what I need in particular?
- As mentioned earlier, Makita has a track record of an entire century, providing nothing but best in class power tools. Don’t just take their word for it – check out reviews at Amazon and other third party testers and reviewers for what other curious woodworkers and operators have to say.
What sort of maintenance does a Makita belt sander need?
- Belt sanders in general need to be cleaned before and after a sanding job. There’s no telling what sort of damage could happen if dust and residue makes its way into the device. Use pressurized air to purge any loose particles. Also, check to make sure there are no frays or cuts on the power cord.
Though there are a lot of belt sanders capable of helping you cover everything you need regarding sanding, there’s just something special about Makita’s collection. If you’re looking for a quick and stress-free sanding experience at a price a little higher than usual, then choose the Makita belt sander for your needs.