“Check Your Brakes” or “Try Your Brakes” are one of the road signage that we often see. There are even designated spots in some places where the Mandatory Brake Check policy is implemented. These signage and systems are just reminders of is how important brakes are for our safety when driving.
Two of the key parts that always need to be checked are the brake pad and brake rotor. By the time, you notice any malfunction and think that it needs to be replaced, the first thing that comes to your mind would be “How much does it cost to replace brake pads and rotors?”
How to Tell When They Need to be Replaced?
Do you want to make sure that they necessarily need to be replaced before calling your car mechanic? Is the big question “how much does it cost to replace brake pads and rotors” concerning you? Here are some tips to know when a brake pad needs to be replaced:
- A good brake pad should be ¼ of an inch.
- If you hear high-pitch squealing sound when you step on the brake pedal, the could be the wear indicator, warning you to replace your brake pads. But an exception is if your car has been left sitting for a while after it was exposed to water.
- When you have “pulsating brakes,” this is when you step on the, and you feel a vibration, or a constant grabbing sense, on the pedal.
- When the brake starts to make a clicking noise.
- When the brakes are making a grinding sound.
- When a car keeps on pulling towards one side of the road, it could and often means that brake pads need replacing.
On the other hand, here’s how you know a brake rotor need to be replaced:
- A rotor should have a smooth surface. Scratches, grooves, grits and score marks is an indicator that it needs to be replaced, as at will just cause damage to the brake pad as well.
- A high-pitch squealing sound you can hear from your brakes could also mean a warped and severely worn out rotors.
- Vibrations of the pedal can also be caused by warped and worn out brakes.
If at least one of the mentioned above are seen or noticed on your brakes, you may want to have its pads and rotors checked.
How Much Do Brake Pad and Brake Rotor Cost?
Once you’ve determined that your brake pad and rotor need to be replaced, your next question should be the prices for brake pad and brake rotor.
Brake pads are usually average-cost. As a matter of fact, some of the reviewed best brake pads just averagely costs $30-$60 on Amazon. But it could cost more depending on the type of brake pad you will to install. You may also check prices on eBay and other sites, or in any auto-supply shops near you.
Same with brake pads, brake rotors can also be bought from average price to expensive. However, it will also depend on which of the types of brake rotors you prefer. For the prices, you may also check prices on Amazon, eBay, other sites, or auto-supply shops near you.
Once you have chosen where and which type to buy, you now have figured out the central portion to the “how much does it cost to replace brake pads and rotors” dilemma.
Cost of Hiring a Car Mechanic
Replacing a brake pad and rotor may not be as easy for everyone. And in that case, you may need to hire a car mechanic to do the job for you. The cost of hiring a mechanic should also be considered as it can be a little pricey, especially if you to replace need more than one brake pad and/or rotor.
If you think that you can execute the replacement correctly, follow the steps on how to change a brake pad and how to change a brake rotor.
But always remember that although you are on a tight budget, the biggest concern should not be the cost. It is better to seek for an assistance of a professional mechanic if you are not confident that you could do it yourself.
One of the most important safety measures, when you have a car, is to make sure that your brakes are in a good condition. And when you notice that there is a malfunction, have it checked right away.
Now that you already have an idea of the question “how much does it cost to replace brake pads and rotors”, you may start with the planning stage. Remember that even if the price might be a concern, it is most essential that your brake pads and rotors are of good quality and were replaced properly since safety is the primary concern when driving.