Finding the best spark plugs for gas mileage has long been a crucial factor in having a car. Without high-quality spark plugs, your engine will not be able to operate properly. As time passed, spark plugs improved from being suitable to light duty cars to strenuous performing vehicles available.
What are the best spark plugs for gas mileage h? This is a question that still remains in the minds of people. Usually, the selection will depend on your needs.
This means before you even dive into investing for a product, you must evaluate it carefully. If you are planning to simply check the list of best spark plug or reviews online, it will never be enough. There must be a compare and contrast procedure to be done.
You could begin with understanding more about the product so you will have a better means of assessing each of its attributes. Afterwards, you give way to the top rated items available. Check if these products meet your needs or other preferences.
Our 5 Favorite Spark Plugs for Gas Mileage
Best Spark Plugs for Gas Mileage
1. Autolite APP104 Double Platinum Spark Plug
These are spark plugs made of platinum side and center electrodes. It has a reduced gapping to promote enhanced spark plug lifespan. You can rely on this spark plug for improving the performance of your engine, upgrading fuel efficiency, and promoting longevity.
Autolite APP104 Double Platinum Spark Plug is not simply made of platinum, but a double version of the material. It comes from a manufacturer present in the industry for more than a century. To date, Autolite has already sold more than 11 billion plugs.
These double platinum spark plugs are designed and manufactured in the United States. The procedures involved in its development aim to increase the product’s durability, reduce gap erosion, and get rid of misfires. The welding process for the platinum ball focuses on generating a regular contact point for improved adhesion.
Autolite APP104 Double Platinum Spark Plug comes with a manual, which will guide you on installing the new component into your new vehicle. Nonetheless, the manufacturer still advises you to consult with the manual of your vehicle. It may be a simple job, but every step must be done correctly with at least basic understanding of mechanical work.
Under the manufacturer are other models of spark plugs with the same level of performance. Autolite also offers copper core, platinum, and iridium spark plugs.
- Full platinum tips
- Also made of full copper and high nickel alloy
- Reduces gap erosion
- Long service time
- Easy and quick installation
- May require further gapping
2. Denso PK2077 Platinum TT Spark Plug
The product boasts its dual tip technology with a center electrode made of platinum material. Alternatively, its ground electrode is out of 11 mm titanium material. This package of spark plugs ensures improved acceleration, upgraded fuel efficiency, and less difficult starts.
Compared to single platinum plugs, Denso PK2077 Platinum TT Spark Plug claims to provide exceptional strength in dielectric requirement and conductivity. This is with the help of purified alumina powder found in its insulator. As a result, you can anticipate the spark plugs to resist harshest of engine conditions.
These spark plugs may not be as fancy as other products available, but these promote great results; simplicity makes it more trustworthy. The spark plugs even come pre-configured, giving you ease when installing.
Many users have commended the high quality of this product. It could also be deemed as the most popular you could purchase on the market. There is also no denying that Denso PK2077 Platinum TT Spark Plug is a cost-effective spark plugs to take regard of.
Apart from giving your engine longer life, the spark plugs may also assist in promoting better torque and quicker starts. If you also want to increase the mileage of your car, this may be the answer. It is very easy to install provided you will follow the instructions given by the manufacturer or get professional assistance.
- Improves gas mileage
- Enhances torque
- Promotes easier start-ups
- Supports engine idling
- Easy fix and installation
- Reports of misfire and wrong fitting
3. ACDelco 41-993 Professional Iridium Spark Plug
Unlike the previously featured products, this is introduced as iridium spark plugs. This material offers a smoother performance of your engine. Stability of your engine while idling can also be guaranteed.
The spark plugs are designed with more efficient and compact electrodes. This gives way to quick start-ups and regulation of temperature in your engine. Improved fuel ignition is another promise of ACDelco 41-993 Professional Iridium Spark Plug.
Another amazing feature of the spark plugs is its self-cleaning capability; in case deposits accumulate at the tip of the component, it will burn away these compounds. The level of ignition will be sustained as necessary.
ACDelco 41-993 Professional Iridium Spark Plug is also designed with a single suppressor seal. This works by inhibiting frequencies of radio, which could cause interference with the electronics of your vehicle. This spark plug component also supports prevention of combustion leakage and longer electrode service life.
It compares well with platinum and copper core plugs since it is constructed to last longer. Furthermore, when it comes to brand evaluation, ACDelco is a reliable company in the industry as well. Nonetheless, there is no assurance that it will work in any type of engine.
It is simply certain that it will work as necessary to any vehicle it will be compatible with. You may use it for average and high-performance vehicles.
- Iridium promotes longer service life
- Self-cleaning feature for ignition support
- Comes pre-gapped for easier installation
- Perfect fit for most engines
- Improves start-ups
- Report of misfire
4. NGK BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug
This is a spark plug made of iridium material, similar to the previous item. It is made for high-performance engines. With its use, you are guaranteed with enhanced throttling, higher ignition performance, and prevention of spark plug foul.
NGK BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug comes with a tip made of 0.6 mm iridium that is welded using laser technology for high durability. The spark plugs ensure that spark will be consistent and stable with better resistance. It has a ground electrode tapered for reduced effect of an electrical blow-out.
These spark plugs also feature an extended insulator nose, which resists fouling. Alternatively, the grooves on the insulator are meant for flashover avoidance. Combustion gas leakage will also be inhibited given the three gasket seals.
Since NGK BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug is made from iridium, you could be certain that it could offer a higher melting point. Regardless of the engine’s condition, it will be able to resist wear and overheat. It is also a dependable spark plug if you want to eliminate the issues with seizing and corrosion.
Before you install the spark plugs, ascertain that your vehicle matches its specification. Verify the model, year, and make of your car. It is also factory gapped, giving you convenience when installing. Surprisingly, it is more reasonably priced than other spark plugs.
- Calibrated for high-performance engines
- Comes pre-gapped for quicker installation
- Guarantees high melting point
- Resistant to corrosion and wear
- Restores car performance
- Wrong description for car compatibility
5. Bosch FGR8QDI Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plug
From the name itself, it is also made of platinum material, ensuring higher performance than standard spark plugs. The interesting thing is, it is also fused with iridium material for its electrode. It also features an extended insulator nose that features resistance against damage.
The product also highlights its air gap technology, which promotes high-performance combustion, spark, and horsepower. Take note that it grants all these aspects without the rise on voltage requirement. Its four ground electrodes are made of yttrium, which are meant for extending performance life and safeguarding against wear.
Easier installation is also assured of this product given it comes pre-configured. In case further gapping is required, the installation is guided. According to the manufacturer, Bosch FGR8QDI Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plug is a product that aims to better the standard plugs available on the market.
Since it is made of mostly platinum material, Bosch FGR8QDI Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plug can guarantee longer life. The problem is that these spark plugs will not be able to ensure enhanced performance of your engine. Moreover, it is not suitable for all types of engines.
The fact it comes from Bosch is one reason why people are considering these spark plugs. The company has been a trustworthy firm delivering automotive accessories and power tools to the industry.
- Fused with iridium and yttrium materials
- Extended performance life
- Comes with four ground electrodes
- Delivers high level of combustion and spark
- Easy and quick installation
- Does not work in all types of engines
Types of Spark Plugs
Good spark plugs are difficult to find unless you learn more about the product’s specifications. By having an insight on the various types of the engine component, you will be able to create a shorter list of options. The categories of spark plugs often depend on the material used for the manufacturing of the product.
We also have article on platinum vs iridium spark plugs which might be helpful for you.
1) Copper Spark Plugs – These are spark plugs that may also be termed as normal or standard types. Compared to all types of spark plugs, this is the cheapest you could find. The problem is, it also has a shorter lifespan.
It may be a wonder why people still make use of copper spark plugs. The significance of the material in conducting electricity better than others makes it reliable in a way. Copper spark plugs also run cooler with higher performance during driving.
2) Gapping Spark Plugs – The name of this type of spark plug is derived from its feature of allowing the user to adjust the curved conducting electrode’s distance from the tip. The adjustment is carried out by electrode bending using a bent tool.
With a gap distance, spark plugs will last longer, your car will achieve improved fuel consumption, and overall engine power will be enhanced.
3) Platinum Spark Plugs – This a type of spark plug that is more expensive due to its rare existence as compared to copper. However, it merely lacks conductivity. Compared to the first type of spark plugs, it is less effective in transferring power.
During driving conditions, it has the tendency to overheat. In contrary, it does not erode easily similar to copper. It also has two times more mileage than copper spark plugs.
4) Nickel-Alloy Spark Plug – This is made up of chromium nickel alloy that features corrosion protection. Usually, you will find it with a core center electrode made of copper. Compared to the standard types of spark plugs, it has a 1,450 degrees melting point.
5) Iridium Spark Plugs – You may have come across reviews of the best iridium spark plugs. The type of the engine component is known for its better features, such as better combustion, improved power, and smoother run. It also has an extended life cycle than the other types of spark plugs.
What to Look For When Buying
When you are looking for the best performance spark plugs, there are features or attributes you must take note of. By considering these aspects, you will be able to settle with a product that will deliver both your needs and wants. Comparisons, such as iridium vs platinum spark plugs, will also be carried out more effectively if you have based on hand.
1) Gap Size between Electrodes – This is a highly crucial aspect in choosing a spark plug since it also determines the performance of your car when running. Basically, every engine is different from another. There are pre-configured gaps, but others may still depend other gapping.
Choosing a spark plug necessitates checking if the specifications of your car’s engine still require customized widening of gap. You can determine this by checking the vehicle’s manual. Better yet, you should look for the pre-gapped ones.
2) Existing Spark Plugs – To avoid further confusion in buying a spark plug, check the existing component in your engine. It is possible that the vehicle’s manufacturer has already installed spark plugs. If you have found platinum spark plugs, stick with this kind of engine part.
As much as possible, you should not lower down the quality of spark plugs. If you have high-performance plugs available at high price, never look for standard plugs. Apparently, doing so will only result in lower gas mileage and reduced lifespan of your engine.
3) Heat Rating – This is set by the manufacturer of spark plugs. It refers to the speed of heat dissipation from the tip of the spark plug. If you are opting for normal driving, you may not focus on this aspect.
However, if you want your engine to achieve better performance, you should look for a higher heat rating.
Using/ Safety Tips
Once you have found the most suitable spark plugs for your engine, you should also keep in mind some top professional tips in using it. Even if you have experience in handling best spark plug wires, there may be factors you have already forgotten about. A quick review on using and safety tip will not harm.
1) Cool the Engine First – Before you even remove the existing spark plugs from your engine, you should cool your vehicle first. This is important, especially if you have been driving the car for a while. The exhaust system may burn your hands due to extreme temperature increase.
You should check if the engine is already cool enough before removing the plugs. While waiting for the engine to cool down, prepare materials, such as extension bar, ratchet socket drive wrench, spark gap gauges, and socket.
2) Locate the Spark Plugs – You could easily find the spark plugs by checking your vehicle’s manual. Usually, these are found near the engine’s top area.
3) Check the Spark Plugs – You can determine the condition of your engine by checking the spark plugs upon removal. Once you have detached the spark plugs, if there are deposits found on its tip, your vehicle has a running issue. Otherwise, the tip of the spark plug is gray or brown in color.
4) Verify the Gapping – Before you even install the spark plugs, ensure that it has the gap similar to what is specified in your vehicle’s manual. There are cases that you have to adjust the gaps beforehand. Always rely on the manufacturer’s advice.
5) Use Anti-Seize Compound – The installation of new plugs requires the application of anti-seize compound. This is used only on the upper part of the threads. You should avoid allowing the solution come near to the lower portion.
The selection of the most reliable spark plugs is certainly complex. However, if you will only consider the guidelines in selecting one, things will be much easier. If you need a recommendation, it is plain and obvious that the Autolite APP104 Double Platinum Spark Plug is the best choice.
Unlike the other spark plugs, it comes with a double platinum material, which you will not be able to deny as the best option. Given its construction, you can anticipate it to withstand any engine conditions. Even if you often run your engine, it will still preserve its long service life.
Moreover, it does not only replace your old spark plugs but guarantees better engine performance. You can anticipate better fuel use, faster acceleration, and easier start-ups. These are not always obtainable with other spark plugs.
It is your choice whether to check other spark plugs or not. You were simply provided a recommendation to secure your engine’s lifespan maintenance. It’s not all the time can you find a very versatile product.